It’s STD Awareness Month and below are 10 not-so-fun facts about STDs from Health Testing Centers and getSTDtested.com. So remember, get yourself tested because safe sex is sexy sex!
1. College students get nearly half of all new STD cases each year and ¼ of them already have an STD.
2. The most common STDs among college students are HPV, chlamydia, and genital herpes.
3. 15-24 year olds account for only 25% of sexually active Americans, yet they make up 48% of all newly diagnosed STDs each year.
4. More than half of college student participants in a recent study thought they could tell who has an STD simply by looking at someone.
5. 50 million Americans, 25% of women and 20% of men, have genital herpes and 85% of them do not know they have it.
6. 61% of men and 48% of women have never been tested for an STD other than HIV/AIDS.
7. 24% of men and 33% of women know that a woman is more likely to get an STD from an infected man than vice versa.
8. Only about 1/3 of adults, 28% of men and 34% of women, who say they have had an STD say they revealed that fact to their current of most recent partner before they had sexual intercourse.
9. Young women under 25 years old are more biologically susceptible to STDs than older women.
10. Some women with birth control who are protected from pregnancy are reluctant to use condoms as part of their sexual routine.